i think i would be rather safe to say that the vast majority of people use music as a workout motivator, at least sometimes. having worked as a group fitness instructor for the past two years, including a spinning instructor, music has been incredibly important – nobody wants a spin class with crappy music.
when i started adding mileage to my training – particularly, when my long runs started to stretch over ten miles – i got crafty with my music. not so much the choices, but the placement of songs. mile 8 of an 11-mile run was a huge mental wall for me – as a result, i would pack my playlist at the expected time of that mile, give or take a few minutes, with my current favorite songs.
i used the same idea with spin classes. quick flat? fast beat. long climb? bass bass bass. my music choices have definitely evolved, and i find myself using fewer tracks of heavy bass and more tunes that are a bit more relaxed, more gritty in the rock and roll sense.
so this week’s post is going to be a sampling of my favorite motivational tracks! check them out on youtube, and i hope some of them might end up on your ipod!
fast tracks – great for quick flats or sprint intervals on a spin bike, as well as tempo runs, 800s, or mile intervals. also great to insert into long run playlists to inject a little fire if you tend to get lazy legs.
- ‘runaway baby’ by bruno mars
- ‘run’ by gnarls barkley
- ‘waka waka (time for africa) by shakira
- ‘move back’ by 5five
- ‘bang bang’ by k’naan ft. adam levine
- ‘black betty’ by spiderbait
- ‘bonnie & clyde’ by destra garcia
- ‘trust’ by prince
pumped up bass – perfect for heavy climbs on a bike, and just generally great for getting your blood pumping and the energy up.
- ‘calle ocho’ by pitbull
- ‘fuego’ by pitbull
- ‘pour some sugar on me’ by def leppard
- ‘cobrastyle’ by the teddybears
- ‘blame it on the boom boom’ by black stone cherry
- ‘my body’ by young the giant
mixed bag – these are a bit middle of the road, but i love them and they’re frequent fliers on my playlists.
- ‘triple double’ by girl talk
- ‘this is the remix’ by girl talk
- ‘this is how a heart breaks’ by rob thomas
- ‘i want you back’ by the jackson five
- ‘it’s a beautiful day’ by u2
- ‘hard to handle’ by the black crowes
- ‘ain’t no rest for the wicked’ by cage the elephant