freshman move-in was yesterday. our previously ghost town-like campus i now started to fill up. and while it’s nice to see some life buzzing through the streets, with it comes the requisite Beginning of the Year Gym Mobs.
i try not to get too frustrated, because i was a newbie here/to the gym once, too. but there are some ground rules i would just like to lay out to all the new folks entering our facility:
- if you’re benching with a friend…use ONE bench for the both of you. ONE. we have six for the entire facility. you and your pal are in essence completely wasting one of them because you’re each using your own, yet only one of you is lifting at a time. it may not be the most convenient thing to re-rack your buddy’s weights and throw your own on the bar after you’re done spotting him, but it opens up a bench for the rest of us. since the weight floor is at the moment crawling like a testosterone-driven ant farm.
- if you move one of the benches to one of the smith machines to work…put it back. just…put it the eff back.
- the benches aren’t for step-ups. that’s why we have plyo boxes. i don’t want a dirt outline of your nike sole on my ass when i sit down to do shoulder presses.
- we have about a gazillion point two gym wipe containers stationed throughout the facility. use them. and to the girl who got off the stationary bike today, grabbed your stuff, and just walked away: i was shooting so much disgusted stank eye at your back i’m surprised it didn’t singe your shirt.
- things like re-racking your weights and not spitting in the water fountain are non-negotiable.
i started to write a really insightful post about recovery, and i ended up bitching about morons at the gym instead. typical. i regret nothing.