internet at my dad’s new place is…well, somehow passwords always end up being a mysterious terrain to navigate, so i’ve been relying on wi-fi hot spots since i got in on saturday. and since – get this – there is neither a starbucks nor a panera in town (huh?!), i’ve been chilling at a dunkin donuts/baskin robbins. where, i must say, the coffee is better and the fact that i can have ice cream at any given time is a definite plus.
i have about three million half-posts in my mental queue, but for now we have a list:
- running here is unbelievable. i went on the most outstanding, gorgeous 10-miler today. AND got a suntan along the way.
- i found a gym that i’m pretty in love with. i spend my time upstairs on the weight floor, and the guys are super-nice. one guy offered to spot me, bless his heart, while i was doing calf raises on the smith machine. i didn’t have the heart to tell him i was pushing twice this weight a year ago. everyone is lovely and fun.
- i’m very anxiously awaiting my christmas gift so i can start rotating my current guys out. especially since i’ve been wearing them every day since i’ve been here.
- i’m trying really hard to ignore the fact that it’s almost christmas and i haven’t been able to bake with my mom, make candy with her and my cousins, or come home to a house filled with the sounds of her favorite christmas albums. my dad left all of our christmas things in new york. including our family ornaments and the stocking i’ve had since i was a baby. instead his girlfriend and i put up a fake tree with generic gold and red bows and bulbs and then i went to bed at 7:30pm and cried myself to sleep.
- i got my first grad school B! seriously – i had a 4.0 with my master’s degree, and maybe 3 B+s in undergrad. so this is literally the lowest transcript grade i have had in seven years. and the world didn’t come crashing down. come at me, perfectionism. Come. At. Me.
- after that 10-mile run and then accessory lifts today and i am SO READY for my dad’s pasta and garlic bread.