i know occasionally i mention that i am forever astounded that people…ya know, read this. and that some of you actually voluntarily follow along with me, and haven’t realized yet how weird i am – or if you have, it hasn’t scared you off yet.
that being said, i just recently gained a follower in paula over at sporty mama life (which you should definitely go check out by the way), and today i found out that she has nominated me for a blogging award:
i’m forever grateful that i had to take german in college, otherwise i would have thought this was somehow related to shellfish. because…food.
so here’s le deal: this is an award for smaller blogs, with fewer than 200 followers. the hope is that it will get us networking and talking to one another, and meeting more awesome people! the rules (per se) are as follows:
- recognize the blogger who nominated you
- write 11 things about yourself
- answer 11 questions your nominator (is that a word? nominator?) asked
- nominate some new peeps
- come up with 11 more questions for your nominees to answer
as i mentioned, this lovely lady nominated me, and i am super excited and thankful! especially since the bulk of my last post was a rant about cockroaches…gross. as for the other items:
eleven things about me:
- the height on my driver’s license is incorrect. i grew 2 inches after filling out the initial paperwork and i keep forgetting to change it.
- i have 2 tattoos: an infinity symbol behind my ear, and my mom’s handwriting on my ribs.
- i have one brother, who is a year older than i am. we were separated as soon as i was born and i have never met him, and i have no idea if he knows i even exist.
- my parents’ nickname for me growing up (okay, and into adulthood) was ‘Bino, which is short for “bambino,” which means “baby” in Italian.
- i have puppy paws – unusually large hands and feet for the rest of my body.
- i didn’t start running until i started grad school, and my favorite distance is half marathon; i’ve run 4 of them since november 2011.
- i cannot wait to turn 30/be out of my 20s.
- i lived in the same house my entire life until i went to college. my parents bought it in 1976; my dad is just in the process of selling it now.
- my bachelor’s degree is in classical voice. the last role i played was that of a 10-year-old girl. i was nearly 26.
- i hate wearing jeans.
- i love (love!) bright colors.
eleven questions, and my answers to ’em:
1. What is your favorite book of ALL time?
this is tough…i’m going to have to go with “like the red panda” by andrea siegel. it’s one of those young adult type books, but it’s written in the form of a girl’s journal. her voice is so unflinchingly clear and honest, and as somebody who has kept a journal since she was nine years old, it was a reminder of how raw and powerful uneditied thoughts can be.
2. What is a new skill or something you have learned to do recently?
well i learned to clean just this morning! (clean as in ‘clean & jerk,’ as in weightlifting…not as in making things not dirty.)
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world and money wasn’t an object, where would you go and why?
greece. amazing history, BEAUTIFUL, and…food.
4. What is your favorite sport to watch either live or on TV?
does CrossFit count?! and gymnastics, i love watching gymnastics.
5. Three favorite hobbies?
running. lifting. reading.
6. One thing you hope to pass on to the next generation?
the idea that, no matter what, you can handle whatever crap you’ve been dealt. your past doesn’t define you; every second is a chance to become a better version of yourself.
7. What is your favorite season and why?
having grown up in the Catskills of new york, fall is so stunningly beautiful. it’s only marginally as much so here in kentucky, but fall remains my favorite season.
8. Your biggest goal for this year?
as lame as it may be, i really want to get an A in my chamber music lit class this fall, just because i know it’s going to be astronomically difficult.
9. How do you un-stress or un-complicate your life?
if i’m sad, i go for a run. if i’m angry, i deadlift. i also like to make lists as a way of uncomplicating things. and every now and then i’ll just temporarily put everything on the back burner and curl up with a book for a few hours.
10. Where did you grow up and your favorite childhood memory?
i grew up in Middletown, NY, which is in the Hudson Valley. my favorite childhood memory is christmas eve. in italian, and especially sicilian tradition, christmas eve is a huge celebration. my entire family would get together and eat and exchange gifts. as a kid we all lived near one another so it was a big, long celebration full of everything you could ever want – love, stories, and good food.
11. Favorite junk food or pig-out food?
cool ranch doritos, hands down.
and the nominees are…
mikaela. one of my first blogging friends, we’ve known each other since…2004? maybe early 2005? back in the day of livejournal!
whitney. a running blog with a neat twist – a race in every state! she just ran her first marathon – check it out!
andy. one of my favorite bloggers out there. he’s a husband, a dad, a runner, and he’s been trying to get me to wear gloves when i deadlift for months – to no avail. : )
and my eleven questions!
- if nutrition weren’t a concern, and you could only eat three meals/dishes/items for the next year, what would they be?
- what was your favorite class or subject in school?
- you get to spend an entire day with one celebrity or otherwise famous person (even if they’re not currently alive – let’s be imaginative!) – who would it be?
- favorite animal to visit at the zoo?
- how many tries did it take you to pass your driving test?
- you’re going to the movies – what snacks do you get to bring in with you?
- speaking of movies – what’s your absolute favorite?
- if i were to go through the dashboard of your car right now, what would i find?
- do you speak any other languages besides english? (we all know you know at least one word of german!)
- favorite board game?
- what was your dream job as a kid? (aka, what did you want to be when you grew up??)
phew okay, that is, i believe, all there is to be had! go check out the four blogs i’ve linked, you won’t be disappointed!!